by Martin Scorsese

"Have conviction of how the muse strikes you. And go there."
Martin Scorsese

Thursday, July 11, 2013

The Path


So I think I mentioned this is my interpretation of a photo I took of a path I occasionally walk here in Roseville.  There is a creek going through the property thus the small walking bridge.

Here is the photo I took one day in early Spring.

Comparing the photo with my art, color seems different and background trees are not clear and I am not sure if that's the art or my photo.  Looks like I used too much white for the foreground so am going to go back in and warm it up and then take another photo.  The photo of the canvas was taken outside as I noticed the lighting inside is not giving me correct colors on my photos.  Gonna hafta work on that soon.

Anyhoo, I am liking the colors I have used and the light value of my palette though once I warm up the foreground am going to check on whether or not the background trees are too dark a value.  

Trala, trala....if I could just remember to breathe today.   In through my nose, deep deep; out through my mouth, woosh!  Now remember, do it again.  Oh my, laughing at myself.

10 comments:

  1. If you were to duplicate the picture exactly, then how could you have an interpretation?? Your rendition is an expression of your style, and what you are seeing at the moment. You said you used too much white for the foreground, I see it as early morning frost on the tall grass!! The background is darker than the photo because it's a blustery fall day and there are gray clouds in the sky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Stay tuned. I'm not done yet but appreciate your perception very much.

      Delete
    2. Guess who wrote that???

      Delete
    3. Your comments are very perceptive and kind, Otto. That's what I love about art. We can each see it from our own perspective without narrative, and you are correct I do not want a photo. It makes me happy that you "get" the emotions in my work. But then you always did "get" me, lol.

      Delete
  2. It's a nice painting. The background softness does not bother me. In fact, I would consider softening the sharp edge of the field against the trees and reducing the contrast between them, which make that the most important area of the painting. If you want the bridge to be the center of interest, you might darken it and/or the adjacent tree a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie, love your comments. I understand what you mean and will work on it.

      Delete
    2. Ya know, that's all a "maybe." I'm not really that good at critiquing someone else's art.

      Delete
    3. yeah i know what u mean. i get it. i need comments like yours though. i was meeting with a critique group for many years. we broke apart recently and i miss the comraderie and mostly seeing my work through other eyes in an authentic way. so i thank you. i have already put a wash over the foreground white and will take a fresh look at it this morning and make some decisions.

      Delete