by Martin Scorsese

"Have conviction of how the muse strikes you. And go there."
Martin Scorsese

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Day 1, What the Heck?

Day 1


So today I began with the first small painting which will end up being a small part of a mandala, 30 small paintings in all.  Again, colors are not true on this photo but close:  blue green, lemon yellow and a dark pink.  That's the extent of my palette for this.

Can you pick out the first little snippet painting?  I may hafta call this Mandala "Manic-Minimal" because right now I envision each painting to be either a mass of stuff on top of stuff or places for the eye to rest.  This first one incorporates some heavy underlying texture, paint and threads-- yes, dark pink embroidery thread.  I've been dying to experiment with it in my work after seeing Susan Riegel's wonderful paintings not long ago.

It seems like I begin writing about my art and I run out of breath.  By the end of each posting, I hafta remind myself to take some big breaths and to actually breathe ON AN ONGOING BASIS!  What the heck???

No comments:

Post a Comment