by Martin Scorsese

"Have conviction of how the muse strikes you. And go there."
Martin Scorsese

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

American River Parkway, Part 2

So!  Here we go with the second phase of my current painting, American River Parkway.  This is being painted in acrylics on a 10x30" canvas.

At this point I like the composition and as I indicated in my prior post, the original photo is of oak trees but my brain took over and made these little dots of color in lieu of gray-green whisps of the tiny leaves that the oaks have.  I like the idea of the unrealistic shapes of color and values of the trees but right now there are too may small, circular shapes that are the same size.  Also the sky is too pink and/or kind of purplish.

Okay so did some more work on this painting and here it is now.

Oh, much better I think.  Changing the sky changed the whole complexion of the work, then I went back in and deleted some shapes in the trees, added bigger clumps and made some differences in the horizon line.  I haven't signed it because I'm not sure I'm done.

Would love comments.  Does that orange blob at the top, right of the big green shape bother anyone?  In the meantime, onto another canvas.

No comments:

Post a Comment