by Martin Scorsese

"Have conviction of how the muse strikes you. And go there."
Martin Scorsese

Friday, November 30, 2012

Memories Light the Corners

I began collecting Christmas decorations when I was first married and Tina was a baby.  A "Christmas Around the World Party" that a friend had in her home, a friend that I can't remember now, introduced me to all the different ways to celebrate the birth of Jesus.  Of course Mom always had a wonderfully festive house and tamales were provided by some relative or another, usually either Aunt Sally or Aunt Genny.

My first born with her bright teal blue eyes, all dressed up in her fluffy pink coat and hat was there to let me view the holidays through a child's eyes.  So excited over the Christmas tree, the presents wrapped under the tree and all of the wreaths and ribbons and lights; she was my best girl helping with all the preparations for parties and gatherings with friends and family.  It's incredible how the two of us just kinda hung out together, but as I look back, I realize that I was just a young girl raising a very young girl and how those moments together were so joyful and precious.

There were difficult times back then too.  "You and Me Against the World" is the song that brings those memories back along with the feeling of gratefulness for having my Tina, the world's Bene, in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment