by Martin Scorsese

"Have conviction of how the muse strikes you. And go there."
Martin Scorsese

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Quick and Easy...really???

I took some photos of flora in Kauai:

I love the soft texture of this plant and color, complementary reds and greens.  I deliberately took an up close shot because I love this "in your face" composition.  About a week ago I prepared my canvas with a nice layer of pigment and then did a very minimal sketch to guide where I would go with my paint.


I worked this morning on the painting and I already like it.  I love the colors, the smoothness of the texture, and the composition makes sense to me.

Wow! Who knew it could be so easy.  Of course I may wake up in the morning and hate it but for today, it's good.  The linen was great to paint on, the orange underpainting worked, and I can live with 60% cool, 40% warm.  

Next to my critique group for their comments and recommendations.  We'll see after that how much I like it.  Sometimes just seeing through other's eyes helps me to recognize faults, mistakes and icky stuff!  



No comments:

Post a Comment