by Martin Scorsese

"Have conviction of how the muse strikes you. And go there."
Martin Scorsese

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Breathing, Smiling and Two Canvases

I read "The Goat" yesterday by Jack White.  Great article on focusing on what you are good at as an artist and going for that and not diluting yourself with trying to do what you cannot.  Being the "greatest of all time" is available to everybody if one can simply focus.

Today, in my studio, I gathered two paintings that have bugged me for a long time.  One, I was settling with because I loved the idea of the message I was painting about even though execution of the items in the painting was not good; the other painting, I have been working on for forever trying to make an exceptional painting out of a bad composition (thinking I am a miracle worker).

I had some left over oil paint on my palette so I simply mixed it up with some white and some copal and totally covered those paintings.  It didn't even hurt me to cover up probably 80 hours of work because I have learned many lessons with those pieces and now I need to use the canvases for something worthy of my quest to be a goat.  Also, I am sick and tired of looking at substandard work which permeates my innards giving me the impression that I am less than...breathe Bobbie, breathe.

Yes, these are the thoughts in my head today.  So I am done in the studio for today, just gained two canvases to paint new compositions upon.  Just got to breathe, smile, and get outta here for now.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds OK to me. I think discarding sub-par work shows judgment and growth. Sometimes poor execution can be repainted--I once did it three times before getting something I could live with; but my paint is not as thick as yours. The bad composition probably is another matter. Next!

    ReplyDelete