by Martin Scorsese

"Have conviction of how the muse strikes you. And go there."
Martin Scorsese

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Flowers, Gardens, and Mexicans

So speaking of flowers, I did this rose when my father was alive.  He was a lover of flowers and grew roses in his garden, I should say in his many different gardens over the years since he grew and nurtured roses in all his 80 some years on this earth beginning with his mom's garden in East Los Angeles.  I remember a garden of many plants and flowers at my grandma's house, many in coffee cans and jars; ya' know, this is just what Mexicans love doing-- having a garden of flowers and cactus in coffee cans, growing things.  Then we take the edible stuff like nopales, tomatoes, onions, chiles, garlic into the kitchen and cook up scrumptious things to put into tortillas.  So Dad grew tomatoes too, and even when he was dying and couldn't eat them anymore he grew them to give away and to have and look at, and probably to stir the old memories of his Mexican-ness.

Daughter #1 admired this painting, so it was this year's birthday present for her.  She took it with her when she visited and I was so happy to see the empty spot that was left when she left because that meant she took a part of me and Dad with her.

So am working on a water scene from a photo I took when in Monet's garden a few years ago.  Oh... and I am suddenly aware that Anna Nalick is singing to me telling me to Breathe, Just Breathe...she's talking about being naked with getting words out her in her song.  That's what I'm doing, naked out there with my art...always breathing.

No comments:

Post a Comment