by Martin Scorsese

"Have conviction of how the muse strikes you. And go there."
Martin Scorsese

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Clarity

Saw Cheryl Strayed interview, read her book Wild, the story of her incredible journey hiking the Pacific Crest Trail back in '95.  At the end of the interview Oprah called her courageous for plowing through every day, facing her fears and at the end claiming her clarity.  Cheryl said she's the same as every person and that this is simply her story and had she not handled her life in this way, there would have been another path to get her to where she needed to be.

At a way younger time, I was scheduled on a flight and hotel out of town to be at a meeting in our client's office.  I would be representing my employer because of my work product, my credibility with our clients, and the respect my managers had for me.  Of course nobody would have guessed that my personal finances were in such a turmoil that I didn't know how I was going to rent a car, or how in the world I was going to buy food as I had absolutely no cash and no credit card.

At my wit's end, I decided to get to the city where my meeting would be and let the Universe help me with getting from the airport to the hotel and with any food I would need to purchase.  I sent the message to the Universe that if I was not to have the success I desired with this job, then in this endeavor I would fail.

Somehow I got to the airport.  I recall taking an aisle seat at the front of the plane and a young man asking if the middle seat was free, and me nodding yes.  I was in my 40's at the time, he was in his 20's I guess.  I say 20's because his conversation was all about himself, his marriage, his wife, his job, his child and being the good listener/motherly type that I am I don't recall sharing too much about myself just that I was on a business trip.  We did have a spiritual connection though, and I don't know how or why I know this-- but I have always known this.  He had a small, economical pick up truck in which he drove me the 10 miles to my hotel from the airport.  I attended my meeting which was very successful, had a co-worker driving me around for the rest of the trip, one of my managers bought my food the next day.

This was only one of the times the Universe has heard me and let me know about it.

Today, I cherish this memory and I desire incorporating these feelings in my work today.  And hello there, I'm breathing fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment