by Martin Scorsese

"Have conviction of how the muse strikes you. And go there."
Martin Scorsese

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Magazine Ads, Christmas and Love

A memory of a romantic Christmas moment comes to mind today.

It was about 20 years ago that I was flipping through a magazine and came across an ad for some rings done by Bvlgari.  They were very different and colorful and I casually said out loud to my boyfriend at the time that I was very much impressed.  He wasn't overly attentive to my comment but did give the page a quick look.

At work about a week later I was at lunch with a friend and mentioned the ring that I admired so and she was interested in seeing it so I promised I would bring the magazine to work for her.  For a few days I looked and looked through all the magazines in my home trying to find the ad so that I could bring the proper magazine to work.  I thought I had dreamed the whole thing as I could not find the ad anywhere.

I had looked in one particular magazine several times as I was sure it was in that one, to no avail.   As a last attempt to prove to myself the ad was in that book (and that I wasn't insane), I carefully pulled apart each page at the middle binding to see if it had been torn out.  I did not find it had been torn out but the page had been carefully cut out of the thick bunch of pages so perfectly that it was difficult to really find that a page was ever there at all.

I still have the ring that Jack "surprised" me with that Christmas.  We still laugh about the fact that once I found the page missing, I would have been very disappointed had he not purchased it for me.

I also selfishly keep in my heart the memory of such a romantic gesture.  The ring size is very small as I guess my fingers were so much smaller than they are now.  I couldn't wear it for a time since it only fits on my left, ring finger but this Christmas I am wearing it instead of my wedding rings...and every time I glance down at my left hand I feel the thrill of that Christmas all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment