by Martin Scorsese

"Have conviction of how the muse strikes you. And go there."
Martin Scorsese

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Begin again, Fracturing, and the Rain



 So after kicking myself in the arse on Sunday morning, I began another landscape in the afternoon.  It's a big canvas and I used acrylics to do my drawing of a pathway here in our neighborhood which is actually a preserved area for wildlife, birds and vernal pools in the winter.  There is a bridge over a small creek which I will place in the painting later.

I also worked on a few paintings that have been hanging around and needed some detail.  Here is one I began a couple of weeks ago of grapes.
I'm trying out a new technique which is called fracturing by an artist I follow on her blog. She begins her painting as always, then gently removes paint in slashing motions with a kind of squeegee tool.  Here is my attempt after drawing the grapes in and then using the tool.  What a mess!

Here are the grapes again after going in with more dark values, fracturing and explaining the grapes a little more, and placing some lighter value into the surrounding leaves.

Ok, so I've got some work to do.  It's a rainy afternoon, I've got my windows open though to keep cool in this tropical storm...perfect for painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment