by Martin Scorsese

"Have conviction of how the muse strikes you. And go there."
Martin Scorsese

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Independent Cats

So this began a few years back as a 30x22" piece of watercolor paper and after possibly 20 layers of paint evolved to a sublime piece of art with a cat peering into the abyss.  I have in the past couple of weeks glued the paper to a big canvas 30x40" which was prepared with some gesso and paint.  Today, I am adding to the stamping which is barely visible on this image and am beginning to collage the canvas incorporating the paper with paper, string, maybe some tapes.

Cats are independent, wise to organize their caring ways around their human when they want, how they want without judgment, without any intention for the outcome, without expectation.  In human relationships with one another, One often has expectations and is manipulative even in caring ways in order to obtain the outcome  desired.  Even if the intention comes from love, it is wrong to expect something in which the other person is not capable.

I think I should be more like a cat.  Mind my own self business, not "help" others to be what I expect them to be and remember the "live and let live" mantra of my youth.

And so to go deeper, my paintings are my emotions put onto paper telling my story...stories that may be different for each painting, a STORY which may be the same story over and over again without explanation, without narrative.

I'm breathing well today.

1 comment:

  1. I love the independent Cats painting. My cat is very independent . ;)

    ReplyDelete