by Martin Scorsese

"Have conviction of how the muse strikes you. And go there."
Martin Scorsese

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Poppies, again


It seems every year when we get the first bit of sunshine in the Valley, I think of poppies and begin to see them at the sides of the road and in the fields of grasses that we still have in some of the fields that are left surrounding us.

So what happens when I get that feeling and I have a new canvas sitting in the corner, I begin to draw.  I do a small drawing on my sketch pad, just a roundabout kind of image of what is in my mind and then I think about the colors I will use and kind of get my paint ready on my palette.  Then I transfer the drawing onto my canvas and voila!






 Now I have a beginning, whew! Time to take a nap or a walk around the neighborhood.

After resting and deciding that I need more color onto the thing, I begin with light oil paint washes to kind of give me a chance to change my palette if I so desire at this point.


Alrighty, I'm thinking the palette is good-- kinda light and airy and the flowers can stand out without worrying about the background.


No comments:

Post a Comment