by Martin Scorsese

"Have conviction of how the muse strikes you. And go there."
Martin Scorsese

Friday, February 21, 2014

Oh no, Realism?


Here's Zak and Eric, Zak playing and Eric watching hoping to get his turn.  This photo was taken at Younger Daughter's home on Christmas Day, 2013.  I immediately love the way the light catches the boys faces and hands.  There's shadow areas which are not so easy to define and there is a golden reflection of light on the keyboard which is a matt black color underneath the glow.



So here's my interpretation so far.  I cleaned up the background to give full focus on the playing of the music.  In life there is lotsa texture and paint on this canvas.  Looks like I need more highlights on Zak's face and shirt and also on Eric.  I didn't want to do too much highlighting on Eric as I felt he would become a white blob but as I see it now, a lighter value of his skin color would work only using a small bit of white where the lightest light is.  This is an oil so I am going to let the paint settle for a few days before attempting more.

Gosh, I just don't breathe correctly when doing these...too close to realism I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment